Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WHAT DOES VISCOPLASTIC MEAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernandez

Mechanical
Sep 25, 2002
US
I'm modeling (using LS-DYNA) a corrugated plate as a (smooth) plate but with orthotropic properties (for simplification purposes). Now I want to add plasticity to my model and I was suggested to use the material card *MAT_ANISOTROPIC_VISCOPLASTIC.

The problem is that I'm not sure what does "viscoplastic" exactly means?
Does anyone has used it before?
Other modeling approach suggestions?

Thanks, [ponytails2]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fernandez:
As you can see by the lack of responses to your query, this is a very complicated subject if you don't work in this area regularly. I suggest you do some internet searches for 'Bingham plastic'. I did a lot of work with viscoelastic solids/fluids about 5 years ago, and vaguely recall that viscoplastic materials are similar to viscoelastic, except that viscoplastic materials have a 'flow rule' which essentially means a cut-off stress--the material behaves one way below the cut-off stress, and a different way above the cut-off stress, similar to an 'elastic-perfectly plastic' material, I think.

viscoplastic have time dependent deformations, a spring and a dashpot is used to model a viscoplastic material. there are plents of books available. its not complicated at all.
Raj

viscoplastic have time dependent deformations, a spring and a dashpot is used to model a viscoplastic material. there are plents of books available. its not complicated at all.
Raj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back