Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

what does'Trust plate' mean? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henryzhang

Materials
May 25, 2004
CN
When I read a paper about auto materials,they mentioned an auto part 'trust plate and tension struts' can be made of that material. I dont know what does 'trust plate'mean.Is that mean 'safty belt plate'? Also can we say ' safty belt' as'trust belt'? Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that the word should have been "truss" not "trust". A truss is an engineering term for a 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional structure that features various members (beams, struts, etc.) connected at nodes, and the whole structure being fully constrained. Look at any engineering statics book for more information.

I agree truss plate, but not sure about automotive application. Truss plates are used in civil engineering to connect to members, generally two 2x4's or more at one seam. It is a sheet metal plate with many pierced holes, whose pierced material is intentionally left sharp and protruding out of one side. Then the "seam" of members joined together with a series of miter cuts, and the trus plate is pounded into all of them, making one fixed truss joint.

Hope this helps, but not relating to auto sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back