Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

what educational studies should people take before entering college

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

John, you are very smart to ask that question before college. The answer depends on the subject you plan to major in. You may not have a lot of options in high school to choose the courses you take, but there are probably some.<br>
<br>
Here are a few ideas. You will probably get the best results by doing a little &quot;research&quot; on the topic. If you know the subject you want to study, contact one of the colleges that offers that subject and see what courses you will take, especially in the first year. Then take the most advanced courses you can in that subject. For example, if you want to be an engineer, study all the math, chemistry, physics and other sciences you can in high school, since you will begin with those in the first year of college. And don't overlook English. And here's a valuable secret: you can learn a lot of the same material by reading the textbook that you would learn in the class. You can go to a good library, bookstore or college bookstore and get books on the subjects that interest you, and learn a lot about your major subject before you enter college. An advantage is that it will help you confirm whether the subject interests you enough to invest a large part of your life in it. Just don't let advanced books scare you away! Start with the ones that you can understand, then you can go on to the next level. You'll master a lot of things that look intimidating now, by the time you get that college degree.<br>
<br>
One final word of wisdom I wish someone had told me: grades are ALWAYS important. Get the best grades you can, if you want to succeed in this information-based society. It will help you get in the college of your choice, and it will help you get the job you want when you graduate. Good luck.

Hi, I'm Dave, a 62 year old electrical engineer.<br>
There's no doubt in my mind that the most important skills needed are communication skills. Knowing how to analyze and glean the most important thoughts in a text, paper, report, presentation,, conversation, will save any one time and frustration. so any courses in communication skills, oral & written will help you, even speech, as you will also need to know how best to get your points across to others. Especially learn the basic use of the English language, it is the common base of international communication as many people in most foreign nations know at least a few words of it. (Helped along as a necessity since most English speakers are so provincial they are reluctant to learn another language.)

If you want to be an engineer don't overlook business skills. After university I realised I could have done with ditching half the technical classes I had taken and studied some more busines and management related classes.<br>
<br>
Also at University statistics was one of the most boring classes, but in real life having undertaken six sigma training I now find it invalueable.<br>
<br>
I'd say Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Business Studies and where possible Stats. Not forgetting Computing be it from an IT perspective or software engineering viewpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back