Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What engineers do during FEED ? 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2012
MY
I found a CV with the following competencies.

1. FEED for Marlin MLNG(Feb - Mar 2012)
2. Detail Engineering and Design in Ichthys FPSO Topsides(April 2012 - June 2014)
Appointed as a Follow On Engineer, based at Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME) Yard, Okpo, Geoje South Korea for 5 months(Nov 2013-April 2014)
3. FEED for Kasawari (Bintulu, SK316 Field) (May 2014 - Feb 2015)
4. Long Son Refinery Proposal Project (March 2015 - Apr 2015)
5. Browse FLNG (Shell) (Apr 2015 - March 2016)
6. Mad Dog 2 FPU Proposal (Apr 2016)
7. RAPID Euro 5 FEED (May 2016 - Nov 2016)

Can anyone share what engineers do during FEED ?
Any detailed examples ? ( such as fill in data sheets to vendor , comment on vendor replies , clarify deviations etc )

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends.

FEED is not a defined term and it can range from basically feasibility / concept to nearly detail design and supply.

It is supposed to cover the period from concept, which may have one or more options to detail design or EPC tender package.

So might be initially some option studies, creation of more detailed drawings, layouts, P&IDs etc then towards the later stages creation of data sheets for the "big ticket" long lead items which can, though not always, go for tender so that you get as accurate a cost estimate as you can, before the FID stage is reached and orders can be placed. Or not as the case might be.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I love when people get on a general forum and talk like they are talking to their buddies at work, including jargon that only the people in their business would understand. Why do we always assume everyone understands us? See it all the time here.

Jboggs,

Do you mean me?

I would expect anyone asking a question like this to understand all those terms.

If not they can ask. Mind you the OP asks a lot of questions and rarely answers so I won't be holding my breath....

They are not “competencies”, they are a listing of positions. The key is the ‘D’. Typically, it is the design work done to allow the operator to take a final investment decision.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

if you have to ask what "FEED" means, to me it means "one CV consigned to the round filing cabinet". If it's not clear, then it's no good !

If the guy sounds really interesting to you, and seems to be what you're looking for, then follow up ... "we'd like an interview to discuss your "FFED" activities".

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Agreed with rb. That's not common engineering or project management jargon so I would file it in the circular bin for failure to communicate clearly. From the discussion I assume they're referring to feasibility studies.

rQuestionEngineering said:
Can anyone share what engineers do during FEED ?
During Front-end Engineering (FEED) engineers do engineering and preliminary design. Details depends on project, see Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook sec. 9 "Capital Project Execution and Analysis". Why not ask the applicant to describe?

CWB1 said:
That's not common engineering or project management jargon
FEED is very common engineering and project management jargon, especially within the oil and gas industry. It roughly aligns with FEL-3 (Front End Loading) or Define stage in Project Management Institute jargon.

[URL unfurl="true"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-end_loading[/url]

That said, all those terms are subject to every company's own definition, so I agree it's on the applicant to clarify their responsibilities and specific experience.

Call me cynical, but "front-end engineering" sounds like what sales engineers do to roughly show that something can be done for a certain price tag and a certain delivery time to be promised to their customer, before they get a purchase order and toss the whole thing over the wall at design engineering (me) before I tell them what aspects of their promises we don't know how to accommodate and/or have no chance of being completed in the quoted time and budget.

LOL

(yes, I've been the recipient of far too many p*$%-poor concept sketches ...)

"It's just like this other project" ... yeah, except for this, and this, and that, and not for this much capacity, which means we'll have to redesign the whole thing

then later on, when sales was forced to talk to the actual design department ...
"Can we do this" ... yes.
Day or two later "Can we do this" ... yes.
A little while later "Can we do this" ... yes.
Time passes.
Purchase order shows up.
I go to the sales chap's office and close the door.
We can do this, and this, and this ... but not all in the same space and time!

For oil/gas/petrochemical companies, the purpose of "Front End Engineering" is to do enough work to establish a cost estimate (to say a ± 10% certainty) and a detailed schedule. In parallel, their economists will try and determine the potential revenue. This is so they can determine whether to proceed with the project or not - often called the "final investment decision".

FEED is very common engineering and project management jargon, especially within the oil and gas industry...That said, all those terms are subject to every company's own definition

Most every company with a formal project management process follows either the lean or agile philosophies, and FEED is not a standard term used in either so definitely not common. Anecdotally, my work has powered many drill sites and pipelines and I've never heard of it. Every company and industry will certainly have its own tweaks to deliverables vs timing and their own nicknames for parts, but applying colloquialisms to high-level PM jargon where communication is critical and engineers less than excited to participate is rather silly IMHO.

Feasibility studies are a common sanity check in every industry tho quality can vary.

A Google search of "FEED" + "Front-End Engineering" returns 483,000 results including major engineering firms like Fluor, Siemens, and Dow Chemical so it's not uncommon.

-Christine

CWB1, In software and some manufacturing those terms (agile / lean / scrum / sprint) mean something but in many other firms especially oil, gas and chemical they don't and FEED is well known, if not always well defined.

They tried that recently on a project I was in and it was never going to work because design engineering in a big project needs a structure and can't just change track at short notice the way software and product development can.

So " most every company..." is, IMHO, more than a bit of an over reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back