Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What factor should we consider about ball valve? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maew

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2003
TH
What factor should we consider for approval new ball valve (that we have been never used before) to our vendor list? In my opinion, because almost vendors have nearly same design, (except for distinctive features for some vendors, as rotating seat of Cooper Cameron), so it's difficult to judge it in technical features.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Best regards,
PLC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Usually other required cerification review, an ISO 9001 audit will give a good idea of the supplier.

As you mentioned, the design of the ball valves look similiar to each other, small details makes big difference on how the valve is going to perform. ( combination of material, design and workmanship)

I have worked as desing engineer for ball valves feel free to ask any other questions you may have.
thanks

Ensure all the necessary certification / firetesting / code approval has been obtained. An enhanced performance test on a typical valve size and class is also a good idea.
Ask for all fugitive emmission testing, and extended bench testing that the manufacture has carried out.

1. Manufactured in accordance with? (BS 5351, API
6D,MSS-SP-72) what ever is applicable.

2. Applicable codes and standards (I don’t know what
size or material else process in question in
addition face-to-face dimensions to be employed)

a. API 6FA,598,605,607 ?
b. ASME B16.5,16.10,16.24,16.34,16.47 ?
c. BS 1560,2080,2872,5351,6755?
d. MSS-SP-44,72?
e. NACE-MR0175?
f. ASTM’s

3. Materials (I don’t know what kind of service you
have in mind)

a. Body/Bonnet
b. Ball
c. Trunnion
d. Body Seat Ring
e. Steam Seal
f. Spring
g. Body studs/nuts

4. Design

a. Split body, fully body, top entry, side
entry, full/reduced bore?

b. Trunnion mounted or floating type

c. End connections (SW/THRD/Flanged RF/RTJ ?)

d. Drain connection

e. Body Seat ring renewable? Welded?

f. Secondary sealing arrangement?(I dont know
the size or service)

g. Arrangement B&B bleeding connection fitted
where?

h. Control of cavity pressure (upstream
venting/self relieving seat)

i. Sealing of stem?

j. Soft seats (antistatic devices, BS5351)

5. Operation

a. Lever/wrench?

b. Actuators?

6. Inspection

a. Hardness readings

b. Hydrostatic/Pneumatic testing

c. ENP application if applicable

d. NDE’s (PT-RTG, MPI-Body PT for non-magnetic
bodies)

e. Volumetric examination (RT-ASTM E94/142)
100% of butt welds. Acceptance criterion
ASME Sect. VIII, Div.1 or ASME B16.34
Annex. B or C I forgot; please check.

Much or less I presume, hope it helps :) btw I'm not good in valves. Talk to CHDO1

regs

First, thank you very much for all suggestions. They're very helpful.
Msmedesign, I have one point to discuss with you. About greasing / lubricating the ball valve before commissioning. Most vendor do recommend us don't grease valve. But in our experience, during gas in when commissioning, gas will contain with much of debris, sand, dust and etc. that can damage seat of valve. So, how about your opinion in this point?
Regard,
PLC

Commissioning means new pipeline, which has not only debris from the gas but also metal weld wire, weld debris, mud, stone from the pipeline fabrication.

Recommmendation to prevent seat leakage due to debris during commisioning;

Keep the valve in open position

Apply proper grease to the gap between the ball and seat and between seat and end piece. Grease will keep the debris away from the seat sealing and functional critical surfaces.

After installation by using seat emergency sealent ports apply proper media to flash the grease from the seat area.

Try your best to flash the pipiline until you make sure that the line is clean.

Try not to operate the valves until the line is %100 clean.

Do not operate the valve during pipe line shell test, if ball valve has a hole between ball bore and body cavity, which enables you to do shell test while the vavle is in open position.

If seat test is required do it prior installation. If you have to do seat test after installation, close the valve than apply pressure. Do not open the valve without equalizing down stream side of the valve otherwise debris will move from high pressure to low pressure side and may damage the seat inserts.

Do not leave the valves in half open position.

Valve leakage problems during commisioning stage could be very frustrating for the owner, construction company, engineering co. and valve manufacturer.

There are some companies they provide service during commisioning stage.

I hope I addressed your question. Feel free to email me msmedesign@yahoo.com
about not recommending lubrication for valves.
Most vendor do recommend us don't grease valve. But in our experience, during gas in when commissioning, gas will contain with much of debris, sand, dust and etc. that can damage seat of valve. So, how about your opinion in this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back