Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is a good book to learn about radiation heat transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasno999

Aerospace
Apr 28, 2006
US
I know the basics of convection and conducion. I am havign a bit of a hard time tryign to figure out how you determine an overall UA value for a space if you need to look at walls, ceilings and floors - I know how to find each UA value but I am confused as how to find the overall UA value...

the part I have real issues with is that of radiation heat transfer. I have seen different explanations in different books and I am looking for a book or somehting I can use to get a good understanding of how to determine radiation heat transfer. Need somethign that is easy to understand and walks you thru the steps wiht examples and what not.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

nasa standard book on radiation, "thermal radiation heat transfer" by Siegel and Howell- 1st choice.

"Radiative heat transfer" by Micheal modest , 2nd choice

What is the source of radiation? The Sun!! If so any book on heat transfer (Kreith for example) will detail show you how to combine convection,conduction and radiation in order to develop UA values.

Personally I have used the book "Heat Transfer: A Basic Approach" by Ozisik.
I found it was very clear and well organized.
The radiative heat transfer section is thin but contains the essential information.

In this kind of book, the physics fundamentals are always missing. If you want to go back to the fundamentals, you need to go to a physics book, I prefer "Landau and Lifshitz", the volume on statistical physics will explain the fundamentals of radiation thermodynamics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back