Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is a good pipe stress software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adammilad

Mechanical
May 27, 2010
US
My company is currently looking for new software to do our piping analysis. We currently use the old Algor PipePak. The support has ended for that. We are looking in to CEASER but have a little sticker shock. Are there other programs out there that offer a real bang for the buck? We don't want to purchase something that will be bought out like pipepak was.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Then purchase something that is already issued and accepted. It is a complete waste of money to purchase a software package that is both unproven itself and, even worse, still has to be accepted by your clients. Ask your clients what software they accept. Most serious players have a list of acceptable software.

"People will work for you with blood and sweat and tears if they work for what they believe in......" - Simon Sinek

Most of what we have seen are request for CEASER. I am just curious about what else is out there that you guys are using and would recommend.

We use Caesar and Autopipe. Oil & Gas have generally accepted those for the most part, however there are some that do not accept Autopipe.

"People will work for you with blood and sweat and tears if they work for what they believe in......" - Simon Sinek

It is my understanding that CAESAR-II has the largest international market share and has been sold for many many years.

AUTOPIPE is integrated into the BENTLY 3D CAD packages offered for sale.

IMHO, Both are excellent and will be suitable for 99% of the piping problems encountered.

I suggest that you call COADE (CAESAR-II developer) and ask them to sell you on thier product.

I believe that multiple use versions of CAESAR are still available for the casual user.....

PAULIN Research Group Announces Pipe Stress Module in FE/Pipe

Paulin Research Group is proud to announce the availability of our new Pipe Stress module PCL-Gold in the latest release of FE/Pipe v6.5. All customers who are current on their support for FE/Pipe will have access to the new pipe stress module.

PCL-Gold Version 5.0 is planned for release in late 2012. This version will have added AIV and improved friction algorithms, along with additional features added to NozzlePRO and FE/Pipe.

For more information on this product, download our PCL-Gold BROCHURE.
To view a 60-minute Webinar on PCL-Gold, click HERE.
To request a trial/demo version of any PRG software product, click HERE

Tony Paulin, Jr., P.E.

Original Author of the CAESAR II® Pipe Stress Analysis Program
Co-Author of the FE/Pipe & NozzlePRO Finite Element Analysis Programs
Co-Author of BOS Fluids Steady State and Transient Fluid Flow Simulator
Co-Author of PCL-Gold Pipe Stress Module with applied FEA Technology
Member of B31 Mechanical Design Code Committee 1994 to Present

I believe you can still lease CAESAR II on a date limited (unlimited runs) basis, for approximately the same money per month as an engineer would charge out at for just a couple of days of his / her time.

Considering the market share and - in my opinion - outstanding technical support you get by going with CAESAR II, it would be my first choice.

I think CAEPIPE is another alternative.

It depends on what you want to analyse. Each software has it's merit's. The reason why Caesar II has a majority share of the users around the world is the fact it was aggressively marketted in the 1980's as opposed to other software packages. There are only two software packages that I know of that are approved for ASME Class 1 nuclear pipework analysis (which shows their capability) which are ADLpipe and PSA5. Although Caesar will analyse nearly all of your needs there are still bugs in the software. AUTOPIPE is a good package. It's a case of generally use what your Client wants you to use or do a comprehensive assessment of the available packages out there and choose the one which meets your needs. It would be nice to amalgamate the best points of each of the packages to arrive at a "SUPERPIPE" software analysis program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back