Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is a "RELIABLE" video card you've used with SOLIDWORKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcmoore

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2004
CA
Question 1) Is your card supported by solid works?
Question 2) How much did/does your card cost?
Question 3) Does your Solidworks crash regularly?

We have 5 designers at my work, running SolidWorks 2005, SP2.0 windows xp pro, with AMD Sempron 3000 chips, 1gb ram, ATI Radeon 128mb 9200 SE video cards (and yes i know they suck)

We have probalby 2-5 crashes of solidworks per user per day. This obviously sounds like more then it should be. We are looking into buying new video cards (we are thinking its the vids that are giving us conflict) Unfortunately we dont have a ton of $$$ to spend on cards now. only want to spend between 200-250$ per card.

Anyone an expert in this area?

What cards should we get? Im having trouble finding any cards that are SW compatible under 500$

Thanks.

Derek

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Derek,

Check the FAQ link under this forum

This will give you the 411 on video cards. This topic has been talked about at least twice a month.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Do you trust your intuition or go with the flow?

Question 1) Is your card supported by solid works? Yes

Question 2) How much did/does your card cost? $220 US

Question 3) Does your Solidworks crash regularly? NO

We use the Nvidia Quadro FX500 here. For the most part we do not work with exceptionaly large assemblies.

I am assuming that you have AGP slots for the vidio cards.

Check out zipzoomfly.com they offer that fx500 for 209 us

stay away from the Quadro NVS cards, if going with Nvidia stick with the FX cards, if ATI, stick with Fire GL ones. It's always a gamble....good luck.

John

ATI Fire GL T2

No problems almost 2 years running. I cannot remember a video problem since using this card.

Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. And scratch where it itches.

1) Yes
2) I have 2 computers so I have 2 cards
a) b) 3) No - they both Run SW extremely well an fast.

FYI - video card is n't the only thing to be concerned with. Drivers, daily computer Mantainence, HDD speed, Network, CPU speed, etc...

See FAQ's on more information.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

We would agree with SBaugh that other issues have as much effect on crashes. Under defined assemblies and sketches tripped us up more often than not. There have been musings that under defined elements take as much as 30% more processing time. When we exercised more discilpine rather than that's close enough approach (locating a part in an assembly with only two constraints rather than three), clearing out backups, and doing the Windows XP maintenance our crashes went to nil. That's with no hardware changes in two year's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back