Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is destructive charge voltage? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpelec

Electrical
Jul 12, 2005
US

I have a specification for a 28V DC system that includes the following:

------------------------------
Insulation Resistance:
- greater than 100 Mohm with 95% rel. humidity
- greater than 1000 Mohm with 50% rel. humidity

Dielectric strength
- greater than 450 V

Destructive charge voltage
- dis. greater than 3000 V
------------------------------

Does anyone know what "Destructive charge voltage" refers to? I have not seen that term before, and I am confused as to how to test for it. Surely the test can't just involve applying 3000 V between a couple of points, as that would fry the 450 V rated dielectric...

Thank you in advance.

BPELEC.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just to add that "destructive charge voltage" is a translation from the original Italian, which was "Tensione di scarica distruttiva".

BPELEC.

I'm just guessing.. But I think it's a short term pulse like an inductive kick. Some high voltage batteries have fragile, thin, membranes. They probably mean an inductive kick of that amount will punch thru the cell structures.

Someone else may know.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

This will probably mean burst transients and surge transients governed by standards such as IEC 61000-4-4 or 61000-4-5. 3kV seems a little high but depends on common mode or differential mode interference relating to the immunity of your product. Typically 24Vdc under 61000-4-4 will require immunity to 2kV CM. Or it could be related to ESD (IEC61000-4-2) and these limits will be 6~8kV depending on air discharge or contact discharge.
These standards will define the tests you are possibly looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back