Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is Percent Flood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeENGR

Specifier/Regulator
Nov 30, 2005
US
We are being given a design of an amine plant that describes Percent Flood. Can someone please explain what this term means? If it helps at all, the designers say they prefer it to run at 70% flood, but some people will run as high as 80%. This is on an amine contactor with structured packing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

pipeENGR:

The term "percent of flood" applies to absorption or distillation columns using either packed beds or trays. Such a column operating at "80 percent of flood" means that the column is operating at a ratio of vapor flow-to-liquid flow such that the column is within 20 percent of being "flooded" (i.e., in essence, within 20 percent of being ineffective).

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

There are generalized tables for the different types of trays and random packing. Get you McCabe or Smith books out. I believe there some packaged programs on the net to get you a rough idea of the diameter required to meet the requirements.

For structured packing you can get a good idea from the generalized calculations, but I'd get a vendor to do his propritory calculations and a performance gaurentee from a vendor if the vessel is smaller than the generalized equations by say 15%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back