Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is permissable defect (gauge) area in a precision bearing bore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigj2

Industrial
May 22, 2003
US
I have a part with a 4 inch precision bearing bore that has a defect in the bore due to an insert breaking, and causing a small gauge in the diameter. This means my ABEC 7 outer bearing race will not make 100% contact with the bore that it is pressed into, this bearing has small balls because the shaft is around 3 inches on the od. This is a special spindle application and will the shaft will be rotating a few thousand RPM. Does anyone have a specification of how much actual contact is needed for the bearing to run properly and not fail prematurly? Are there any articles that discuss this subject?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume you mean gouge or scrape on the surface of the housing bore. Have you repaired this scrape? You could always consult Loctite's engineering for instructions for their bearing retaining compound.

Russell Giuliano

if you want to salvage

grind/turn bore oversize in the id, to leave .001 min plate per surface. leave a step adjacent to the shoulder (length will depend on radii at corner, usually .015 max length.)
since chrome has difficulty building up in corners.

QQ-C-320 engineering chrome plate .004 min per surface in bore.

grind id to bore size required.

it will last longer than the parent material.

Good Luck

Tough question. It's not uncommon to machine a groove in the OD of the outer race to allow for a snap ring mounting option. Some bearings include holes in the outer race for introducing lubricants. So some lack of support for the outer race must be o.k. It's hard for me to believe that a small gouge or spiral groove in the bore would cause any problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back