Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is Programming language engineering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiceMike

Industrial
Feb 28, 2003
US
What is Programming Language Engineering and is there such a thing as a Programming Language Engineer? Where would you learn this, what certification, or am I missing the point?

I searched AltaVista and found nothing about certification or definition of this as a profession.

My reason for the question is that I could call myself a “Programming Language Engineer” in a generic sense. I had added commands to the tokenized command processor of the old TRS-80, and am currently writing a BASIC interpreter from scratch for the OnHand wrist computer. (For fun, there is not enough demand to do it for money (;->).

Considering the puffery and spin that I have seen others put to their talent, or lack of it, an ethical way to attract attention to real skills is worthwhile. Claiming to be a Programming Language Engineer sounds better than self-taught programmer, etc.

Michael John Lake

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can call yourself anything you want. However, it is being able to do what the customer wants that is key if you are going to "sell" your services.

Try looking up Software engineering. is a site that explains software engineering. It deals with looking at software development from an engineering view. Attempting to make it more effective and without bugs.

In some states it is a crime to call your self an "Engineer" unless you have passed the local PE exam. This has caused much confusion; there are many threads on this. Especially when Microsoft issues MCE certificates. Some Engineers find this offensive and have gone to court to resolve these issues. Some feel the term Engineer is reserved just as the Term Doctor is reserved for some one who has reached some sort of accreditation. I don’t think you would call your self a Doctor of Software and the add Dr. in front of your name.
The best and Legal term that I know of for you to use is “Software Designer” I have found this works in most field of engineering where the individual has experience without or working towards accreditation, Such as “Interior Designer”.

Look at the Ethic in Eng Forum.
thread765-19327

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a qualified PEng. I have at times been called an "Applications Engineer". That's a title that seems be generally understood as someone narrowly qualified within a specific engineering field. I am not comfortable with even that title - I agree that the term "Engineer" should be a title earned through appropriate education channels.

What I do is to cobble together various bits and pieces of industrial control systems (electrical design) and program (commission) them to the end. I am much more comfortable calling myself a "Systems Integrator". This seems to be understood by all as a jack-of-all-trades type of title which is certainly more accurate.

The point being, that with a little creativity, you should be able to find an acceptable title without treading on the qualified guys toes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back