Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is Shot Peening all about

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHARQ

Mechanical
Apr 14, 2002
Dears, good day

I am looking for any information that can explain to me what is Shot Peening and what is used for. I appreciate if there are any web references and international standards you suggest for me.

Regards

SHARQ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here are some standards:

SAE J442 Test Strip, Holder, and Gage for Shot Peening

SAE J443 Procedures for Using Standard Shot Peening Test Strip

SAE J2277 Shot Peening Coverage

ISO 12686 Metallic and other inorganic coatings -- Automated controlled shot-peening of metallic articles prior to nickel, autocatalytic nickel or chromium plating, or as a final finish

SAE has even more related to the aerospace industry, but that may be beyond your needs.

In a nutshell, shot peening is used to enhance the fatigue performance of metal articles. This accomplished by the compressive surface stresses created by the impact of the shot particles to the point that 100% of the surface is indented and is thus under a state of residual compression.

desertfox , unclesyd , CoryPad and, swall

Thank you very much for the information you gave me. We were struggling to find any thing guide us to do the shot peening.

Regards

SHARQ

I have used shot peening on some highly stressed gears and am a believer in the process. I have visited the facilities of some of the firms mentioned above, and I was also very impressed with some of their other clientele especially aircraft manufacturers (helicopters in particular). Some of the components they were shot peening were critical path to safety and longevity of life of the flyer's.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back