Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what is small vertical vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlechickend

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2007
AU
hi all,

Now I read the overview of Pressure vessel design from ASME. They say that small vertical drums typically supported by legs. But I don't know what is considered as small vertical drum.

Someone please instruct me.

Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Banu,

Vertical vessels are a matter of simple design preference. In many circumstances, either a horizontal or vertical vessel are acceptable. Vertical vessels, of course, can save floor space in a process plant

Disregard the term "small".

Most vertical code pressure vessels I have seen are between ~ 2 ft to about 12 feet in diameter and have between three and eight legs.

Very small vessels and tanks (about 2-4 feet diameter) are equipped with casters.

-MJC

MJC,

i just wonder when skirt, bracket, leg is used for supporting vertical vessel? is it depended on size of vertical vessel? diameter, length of vessel, loading, etc.?

TPN.

banu,

It all depends,... you can eventually learn how to build a bridge if you ask one question at a time about one beam at a time.

Skirts are much more expensive than legs, but are more suitable for higher vertical loads (think distilation column) or seismic conditions. Skirts can limit access under the vessel and make load cell usage, nearly impossible

As a newbie, I suggest you purchase and study some of the texts available regarding pressure vessel desigign and analysis.

Perform a search of this site to find the titles recommended by John Breen and Leonard Thill

In what country will these pressure vessels be installed ?

-MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back