what is the accepted percentage from capacity to design moment connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELSARWAN

Civil/Environmental
Jan 25, 2015
EG
Dear Gents,
i have simple structures .and I want to design the moment connections between beams and columns based on aisc design manual 13 th ,because i don't have the end forces for the members ,
so i will use a percentage from the capacity ,
1-what is the accepted percentage and its reference?
2-can i use table 3-10 and get Mn then take 50% ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no accepted percentage. It should be designed for the moment at the end of the beam. You can design it for the full moment capacity of the beam, but that's likely overkill and overly expensive.

If you don't know the moments, how can you select the members? If you're just the connection designer, ask the EOR for the connection design loads.

It's usually specified in the contract documents. Some engineers want the reaction equal to 50% of the max UDL the span will support, some want 67%, some want half the web shear capacity. It varies. On a recent job, the EOR wanted full capacity of the HSS section at all connections... this meant welding a 'block' of steel at the joint and doing CJP welds for all HSS connecting... This wasn't what the EOR wanted... so he spec'd the real loads. The first three are the most common ones I encounter... and my work for the last three years is designing connections.

For moment connections, usually the moment is spec'd. Alternatively, if often the full moment capacity of the section.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back