What is the American code for lifting sling design ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertyboy

Structural
Jul 18, 2003
GB
Hi, I am a British Engineer.
I was wondering if any of you could tell me what the American code is for the design, and manufacture of a 4 leg lifting sling ?
i.e. the ropes e.t.c. that a crane requires to lift a heavy object.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your best bet is to get hold of a Crosby catalogue for single or two leg slings from which you can make a four leg sling with the appropriate fittings. You will find out that their product is consistent with OSHA construction and general industry standard on slings. Since OSHA develops much of their safety regulation from the ANSI standards check the webb for ANSI standard on slings.

In the US the following may help guide guide you:
ASME B30.20a-2001 Structual and Mechanical Lifting devices. Section 20-1.2.2 Construction

CMAA crane requirements

AASHO 1.6.17

Steel Construction Manual-AISC

Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) 29 CFR standard 1926.753(e)(2) and 1926.251

American Society of Testing and Materials Specifications A391

Naval Facility Command NAVFAC-307
American National Standards Institute, "Below The Hook Lifting Devices"

Chicopee, and boo1, thanks for your comments.
In Britain we have BS1290, 'Wire rope slings and sling legs for general lifting purposes'.
I work in the offshore industry in Britain, and have not got access to American codes.
I am writing a spreadsheet that designs 4 leg slings to all the common codes i.e. DNV Marine Operations, DNV Offshore Containers, BS1290 e.t.c., and would also like to include the standard American design procedure. There must be one commonly recognised standard in the USA, that gives guidance on the design, proof testing, identification stamping, and certification, of a 4 leg sling ?
If so could someone give me the name of this specific code, and the reference sections ?

Look into ASME B30.9-1996, B30.9a-1997, B30.9b-1998 and B30.9c-2000 for the manufacture of wire rope slings. However, when designing there are other rigging considerations such as the "two-leg" rule and sling angle stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back