Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the benefit of using a duplexer with repeater for radio comm

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayyab1020

Electrical
Jul 10, 2002
OM
I Want to install a repeater station for communication with walkie talkies at my plantsite. The coverage area is 50km in radius.
Can somebody tell me what is the top of the line repeater station available in the market.

Please also let me know what are the benefits of using a duplexer with reapter station because the cost of a duplexer is very high. And if its purpose is just to eliminate one antenna then this much cost is not justified.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A DUPLEXER ( DIPLEXER ) IS A CAVITY FILTER THAT ALLOWS YOU TO USE A COMMON ANTENNA FOR BOTH RECEIVE AND TRANSMIT MODES ON YOUR REPEATER

Like the other reply said: It saves you an antenna, feedline, etc.
True you can run without a duplexer, but make sure you have adequate antenna seperation.
50km radius coverage with handhelds will be tough with one centrally located repeater.
I have 3 repeaters at my plant. They are all 800mhz conventional, 10 watts out and have antennas at 60 feet.
With 2 watt handhelds, they are rock solid 2 to 3 miles, which is more than we need as the facility is about 600 acres.
My repeaters are GE Master II's. Bulletproof since 1985.
pfry
Wyoming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back