Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WHAT IS THE BEST BOOK TO LEARN FROM ??? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

prostocktom

Mechanical
May 18, 2002
US
I finally aquired a copy of SolidWorks 2001, Now I need to know which book or manuels would be the most helpful in learning SW . I hate to buy the wrong one and need your help. Thanks Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tom,
What we do here at work, with a new SolidWorks User is have them go through the SolidWorks tutorial. This takes 4 to 5 days at 8 hours per day. The time spent is well worth it. I support SolidWorks here at work and the Engineers that spend the time to go through the whole tutorial advance a lot faster that those who do not. Plus I do not have to fix a lot of mistakes because they just did not know. We do setup standard templates and model templates that everyone uses. Put your properties in the model to control the information in the title block. Have your drawing revision controlled by the model revision. If you have more than one SolidWorks user, think about getting a PDM as soon as possible.
Bradley

I have to agree with Bradley. I think the tutorials that come packaged with SolidWorks are the best books out there. They are easy to read, cover all the basics, and are well written. By the end of a week, you should be proficient enough with SolidWorks to use it full time. Of course you will forget some things, but at least by doing the tutorials, you have been exposed to it.

If you are a hardcore, long-time user of AutoCAD, then SolidWorks are AutoCAD Users (by Greg Jankowski, Onworld Press) does a good job of explaining the differences between how AutoCAD and SolidWorks achieve the same results, It's worth a look. "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

I recommend our users to go through the 40 minute running start in the getting started manual and then attend the first level training through our VAR. Even if you are proficient in another solid modeling package you will find yourself picking up a lot of tips from the training.

I agree with the above statements in that the on-line tutorial is the best published step by step for new users.
BBJT CSWP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back