Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is the best engineering advice you ever received? 205

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulum

Industrial
Jan 13, 2004
CA
I would like to continue engineerdaves series of threads; what frustrates you at work, and what satisfies you at work...

I just finished reading one of Donald Trumps books entitled "the way to the top". What he did was he asked the top executives across the US to submit the one single most important thing they learned to help them achieve businees success.

For example one qoute was (and is very applicable to engineering):

"Although you can't always control where you are planted-to which department or specific project you are assigned-you can control the experience while you are there...bloom where you are planted."

So my question to the forum is: What is the best engineering advice you ever received?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Two things, one to the engineering side, one to the business side:

-- Murphy was an optimist.
-- Dilbert is real.

While engineering is serious business, if you can't find humor in the unexpected failures, the frustrations of management, etc., you're eventually going to hit the wall of burnout.

While brainstorming ideas with a senior engineer I was assigned to work for, he finished the session with this:
Do what you think is best. I've learned not to fall in love with my own ideas.
This was a man more interested in a solution than just politicking his ideas. He was well respected by all, especially by those lucky enough to work for him.

[bat]Due to illness, the part of The Tick will be played by... The Tick.[bat]

Check your units (and for IRstuff) even if your using Mathcad.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Learn something new everyday.

Edward L. Klein
Pipe Stress Engineer
Houston, Texas

"All the world is a Spring"

All opinions expressed here are my own and not my company's.

During the review phase of a project - if half the criticism that you receive in for one reason and the other half if for exactly the opposite reason, you probably have things right.

Consider the operating temp of the design.

Assign the temperatures at the design point. Your layout should exhibit the cold condition with the hot condition superimposed. You may be shocked at the disparity. Of course, the parts need to be detailed so that the hot condition results in the intended agreeable relationship.

Beggar, that is absolutely true.

Make friends with the people who build your designs and don't hesitate to ask questions. They are a wealth of knowledge waiting to be tapped into.

If you want to do it right, do it yourself!

With this, if/when things go wrong, you can only blame yourself. And if others do the job for you, make sure that you verify the outcome before putting your stamp.

Coka

If it works

Don't touch it..leave it well alone.

Everything can be taken back to the very most basic laws of physics.

What goes in must come out, energy can neither be created nor destroyed, simply changed to another form. The conservation of energy etc.

If it looks right, it probably is right.

Think laterally and ask lots of questions.

You are made with one mouth and two ears. Use them in that ratio.

Friar Tuck of Sherwood

Figures can Lie and Liars can Figure. Look at the data closely.

Your options are "Good," "Fast," and "Cheap." Pick two.

ChemE, M.E. EIT
"The only constant in life is change." -Bruce Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back