Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best side to stand on when turning on a MCC bucket 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaydubblazer

Industrial
May 3, 2007
US
I was sitting in on a safety presentation for operators on electrical safety. They had a slide that had a few pictures on the right/wrong way to re-energize a MCC bucket. In the picture depicting the correct way the operator was standing to the right of the MCC with their body away from the door. Upon seeing this an debate starte about which side of the door you should stand on. The hinge side or the bolted side. Is there any documentation of what side is more correct?

Thanks,

Wes

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We also use to have a discussion as to who is the most valuable guy, who has young children, who tells the funniest storys or has other fine human qualities (like buying beers for others). The most dispensable (as opposed to indespensable) guy throws the switch while the others go outside.

I guess I have thrown more switches than anyone else.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

I was at a safety class last year and this same discussion came up. I haven't found anything in writing to answer the question, however I think this is a case where common sense should prevail. As I was taught (by two old guys who had all their fingers and minimal scar tissue) generally stand to the hinge side of the enclosure door, it has the most hardware and in the event of a blast the idea is the door will take the brunt of the blast and may help push you out of the way. The opening side, either bolted or latched, generally had less hardware, and in the case of bolted doors, how many do you run across in service that all the holes and hardware are in good shape? I have taken safety briefing from SCE and PG&E and both generally go the way of working from the hinge side.

Zog's idea is the best, but not always available. So an overall procedure of knowing overall equipment condition, is there a risk (say new or well maintained equipment versus old or in not so good of shape), and proper PPE and other safety procedures is the best bet. I always tell junior people I work with to work from the hinge side as a matter of practise because that is how I was taught and to date has served me well.

Of course if you have disposable people Gunner's idea is pretty good too.

Hope that helps, Mike L.

If I couldn't operate it remotely, I would stand on the side where I didn't have to reach across the door. If you are wearing an arc face shield, you shouldn't face away from the MCC because the arc could blow into the back of the face shield.

In the old days we stood on the right side and operated the switch with our left hands. That way we didn't reach across the front of the enclosure and our bodies were away from a direct blast. We turned our heads to the right to protect our face and eyes. So of the boys buried their face in the crook of their right elbow with their right hand over their left ear. That was before there was much PPE around. Safety shoes and hard hat and the hard hat may not be worn in the switch room.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back