Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the Best TVSS for Manufacturing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

QBall6

Electrical
Oct 30, 2009
US
I know there are lots of TVSS or SPD's (Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor or Surge Protection Device) on the market. But there has to be one that tops them all. I want to protect a service that has 480/277V,WYE, 3ph, 4W. I am looking at the incoming power switchgear which is 4000A. I could go downstream and protect field devices as well but I want to start at my incoming power.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would not say there's one that tops them all. I'm sure others would not agree. Look for a reputable mfg. who has been in the SPD business for some time. Look for compliance with UL 1449, 3rd edition.

Good surge protection requires installation as close as possible to the load you are protecting. It's definitely good to have a heavy-duty device at the service, but equally important to have good protection at the panel or particular equipment of concern. Keep all SPD wiring as short as possible.

Alan
“The engineer's first problem in any design situation is to discover what the problem really is.” Unk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back