Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is the definition of a laptop computer display - HD versus standatrd definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AELLC

Structural
Mar 4, 2011
US
This is a 15" Dell Inspiron, very cheap machine ($385) that claims to be HD - Intel HD integrated video, and 1366 x 768 maximum screen resolution - text is fuzzy - running Win8.

My other laptop is a Compal PBL15 15" laptop, 1920 x 1080, Nvidia 540M or (something like that) video card, noticeably much better, Win7.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fuzziness is not a function of the resolution, per se, unless you are running off the as-built resolution.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Don't understand that statement, but would you consider the Dell to be high definition? Or is HD just a vague marketing claim?

HD can mean 720p, 1080i or 1080p. Your laptop is probably 720p: the nearest to 1366x768. Fuzziness might be because it is trying to stretch 720 pixels to 768.

To be more specific, text is not smooth, despite running that Clear Type Text Tuner that is under Control Panel, then Display.

Display Resolution is as from factory, and it cannot be greater than 1366 x 768.

Also, text has a sort of grey "shadow", which makes it look fuzzy or not well in focus.

The text looks bad no matter what.
I had a Dell tech support guy take remote control and he tinkered with the machine all morning to no avail. I also saw him checking the resolution and it was definitely 1366 x 768.

Also, the viewing angle is very narrow. The display has to be tilted back exactly right.

I have an old Viewsonic VG900b monitor for my desktop, which runs Windows 7; the colors are not intense or vibrant at all but the text is very clear and smooth.

I think it is just low quality. I asked my wife if she would prefer a Mac but she doesn't want to learn a new OS.

But my original question is resolved - yes it is an HD display as advertised.

Dave,

It is interesting - nothing on Toshiba's web site mentions HD for their low-cost laptops. Just Intel Graphics, for example.

Mine does 1366 x 768, which is better than 720p HD. If you want 1080p, you'll need a desktop display or a really expensive laptop.

Note that computer displays (including laptop) are not typically marked "HD" -- their resolution is expressed in pixels.

Anyway, my laptop is three years old and the screen is really sharp with vivid colors. I watch HD movies on it from time to time.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Yep the Compal was about $1400 but it was my only computer for about a year, and I still use it a lot away from my office. It has a short battery life - that is frustrating.

My wife uses the Dell only for Net browsing, emails, and games, and sometimes a Word document.

I was hoping she would use it more but she just doesn't like it.

I stand corrected on one item. Looking at Best Buy, the lower-end Toshiba laptops do say HD display, but the resolution is the same as mine (1366 x 768).

For high-end laptop, look at Sony...

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

To me, the Sony website was very confusing.

All of their laptops seemed to be Win8, so that totally eliminates them form the running.

(I am a diehard Win8 hater)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back