Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the definition of edge Conditions with according to ASME UHX-13.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonylai

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2011
TW
Dear, ALL ASME code experts
Could you answer it?
I meet a fixed Heat exchanger equipment, one tubeheet integral with shell and channel, and the other tubesheet integral with shell and gasket with channel, extended as a flange. I know with according to ASME Sec. Ⅷ Div.1 2019ED. UHX-13.2 Conditions of Applicability "The two tubesheets shall have the same thickness, material, and edge conditions."

What does the edge conditions mean and What is the definition of edge Conditions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tonylai, I'm not sure there is a formal definition, but in this context edge condition refers to the attachment of the tubesheet to adjoining parts (shell & channel).

It is important as to the effect of restraint to rotation of the tubeshseet periphery under loading.

A tubesheet may be integral with one side, both sides or neither. Each of these is a different edge condition.

In your example the two tubesheets have different edge conditions, and it does not meet that condition of applicibility.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Dear SnTMan, Thank a lot.
Are there any refers books where look for it answer?

or

Who has another answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back