Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the difference between an anti-static mat and a rubber insulating mat? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipocoyo

Mechanical
Apr 17, 2016
AU
As the title states above, what are the differences between these 2? I work at a manufacturing plant and the main switch board room in my building uses a rubber insulating mat spread across the floor. Whereas in the hazardous areas where combustible dust are present, ESD/anti-static (connected to earth) are used.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One is an insulator intended to give some level of protection against personal contact with an energised conductor. The other is slightly conductive, albeit with a very high resistivity, in order to dissipate static charge.

In areas that have a flammable or explosive risk you need to be careful.
Mats come in two varieties, static disapative and electrically conducting.
The difference is the how conductive they really are and how much charge can be built up.
In some cases you may need the more conductive mats in order to meet safety requirements.
And frequent inspection of the grounding straps is always good practice.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

The floors of medical operating theaters were required by code to have a conductivity within a specified range when a particular anesthetic was being used.
The resistance was high enough to prevent lethal ground fault currents to flow, yet low enough to discharge static charges.
I once designed an operating theater and obtained the appropriate code.
The code stated the limits and also a method for field testing and verifying the resistivity of the flooring.
I spoke to a doctor who was both a surgeon and an anesthesiologist.
He related that in the early days of that anesthetic there had been incidents where the surgeon, using a high frequency scalpel which cauterizes as it cuts, inadvertently cut into the lung cavity.
The gas exploded with the death of the patient and injuries to the operating team.
Hence anti static mats or flooring.
ps. That anesthetic is no longer used.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

EdStainless said:
And frequent inspection of the grounding straps is always good practice.
The hospital in question was a remote area of the Moskito Coast. I knew that future maintenance and testing would be impossible.
I settled for a signed declaration by the owners of the hospital that the problem anesthetic would never be used.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Not in that case, but the possibility of a static spark was very much a concern.
There are other serious issues with a conducting floor and the possibility of a static spark ruled out a completely nonconducting floor.
The doctor in question was my step father and was also responsible for implementing the training and protocols for every new procedure and/or substance introduced into the operating room.
He was very knowledgeable as he had been responsible for having the floor in the local OR properly tested by an electrical expert.
I was lucky to have his help.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back