Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what is the difference between hot bends and cold bends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobebest

Chemical
Dec 30, 2013
CN
I know hot bends are used in pipelines,but i would like to know the application range of both ones. can anyone help me? THX

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes.

Typically "hot" bends refers to induction heating of pipe to several hundred degrees before being bent, normally 3D or 5D radius. You get thinning of the pipe to around 8%, so usually have to start with thicker pipe than the rest of the pipeline. Some companies forge their bends to avoid this.

"Cold" bends are bent at normal temperatures in a bending machine, normally at a bending radius of 40D. You can get smaller radius, but need to pack the internals with sand to prevent wrinkling. I once got a 10D 8 inch bend, but that is very rare.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I have seen cold bending of small bore (< 2 inch) piping at power plants. Typically, in schedule 40 systems.

Hot bending of larger diameter piping systems is commonly done to meet schedules when elbow fittings are not available. This is more typical in alloy piping systems, where elbows may be scarce

Contractors can meet schedules, by bending pipe if they cannot get enough welding talent working for them on site.

Piping stress analysis may also be affected.

It is important to note that, when a bend (3D, 5D etc) is substituted for a more flexible 1.5D elbow, the calculated stress levels will go down..... but the stiffness of the system goes up and nozzle reaction loads will increase.

Exceeding the equipment vendor's allowable loads is possible by the inclusion of a piping bend

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back