Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is the different between " Pipe except the end" and "Pipe End" in API 5L Ta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

errrr, exactly what it says....

The end ( subscript a) states "a The pipe end includes a length of 100 mm (4.0 in) at each of the pipe extremities."

So the "End" is the last 100mm of each pipe and the rest is the pipe except the last 100mm on each end.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks for your answer but I'm still not clear for your answer that note "a" is specified both Pipe except end and pipe end.
My understanding for your answer is Pipe except end means, pipe is not included 100mm extend end and pipe end means pipe that already included 100mm extended.
I just would like to classify to ensure I select the right value to compline API 5L. If my understanding is wrong. Please feel free to explain.

OK, my understanding of note a in this particular table is that for a standard 12.00m length of pipe, the outer 0.1m at either end is regarded as the "pipe end", with the remaining middle section 11.8m long regarded as the "Pipe except the end".

In some other places in API 5L, the "pipe end" means exactly that - the end of the pipe. Some sections then also include 0.1m or 0.2m of the pipe within the requirements of the "pipe end" so that e.g. if the pipe needs to be cut back a small amount, or a weld needs to be cut out, the same conditions at the new "pipe end" will be the same as the old "pipe end".

Does that help?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Yes, it helps me. but it's still in procurement process fabrication conditions still unknow. Can I assume to select pipe end instead of pipe except end? Is it practical selection for using API 5L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back