Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the Material Modelling or Failure Criterion for CFRP composite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isyhadh

Marine/Ocean
Nov 23, 2012
GB
Dear experts/engineers

I'm currently doing research on the CFRP modelling (abaqus) and testing (experiment)
I would like to know and get your expertise (advice)on what is the exact/approximate material model of CFRP composite
which is quite subjective in terms of behavior/characterization which is either ductile/brittle in nature, as well as behaving elastic and also a bit of plastic at certain region after surpassing non yield region/elastic region

many thanks for your advice and input
really appreciate it

regards
isyhadh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Isyhadh,

What has proven to work the best for my analysis of CFRP is to model the behavior as Elastic, using the Engineering Constants material definition in Abaqus to supply transversely isotropic material properties for unidirectional plies. The "plasticity" you see in composite test data is not the same as plastic deformation that you see in metals. CFRPs are considered brittle and the nonlinearity in a stress-strain curve is not due to any type of plasticity but is the failure of the composite (matrix cracking and eventually fiber failure). This can be capture using an analysis technique called "progressive failure" in Abaqus using the composite specific damage criterion (based on the Hashin failure criterion) or a composites specific add-on for Abaqus such as Helius:MCT.

Hope this helps,

Firehole Composites

many thanks compositesFEAguru

you are really expert in this field
maybe i can suggest your name to my network here in my country on your expertise and knowledge
maybe it will be of your interest and future career?

regards
isyhadh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back