Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the maximum pressure for a banjo fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drivefast

Automotive
Dec 21, 2007
US
I am installing a fuel injection system on my 65 mustang. I would like to hide any indication of the modern upgrades. To do this I wanted to use fuel banjos to feed the injectors. So, the question I have is can I use the banjos with crush washers to feed the injectors at the required pressure or is the pressure going to burst the washer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you're talking less than 100psi, right? I haven't seen the specific fittings you're talking about, but if they're like what I'm imagining, I have trouble imagining them bursting at such low pressure.

I used the standard banjo fittings on my much modded 83 T-coupe...Fuel pressure was only 45 psi or so, though. I used the standard fibre washers.

On the brake systems of both my race cars I replaced the OEM banjo fittings with AN fittings. Not because of any failure related problems but for ease of maintenance with braided teflon/steel lines.

Rod

Drivefast,

You can absolutely do this, but like evelrod stated, servicing AN fittings may be easier for future maintenance.

-Reidh

Yes, the T-Bird was a Bosch system. Never had a problem. However, pump service was simple as it was mounted, with adjacent fuel filter, under the floorboard by the RR passenger seat. I also used an adjustable regulator from a BMW with this car. Like I said, had I to do it again, I would opt for AN fittings. incidentally, this 2.4 + .040" engine was tested on the chassis dyno with 18 to 20 psi boost at 293 hp at the wheels! AND, it still got 22 mpg at fast freeway speeds.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back