Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is the meaning of Coupled Load Analysis (CLA) for a Spacecraft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francesco Bro

Aerospace
Jan 31, 2021
AR
Hi,

I would like to know the technical meaning of Coupled Load Analysis (CLA) for a spacecraft, mainly a satellite. Is CLA related to computer simulation (FEM) or testing?

If you have any technical reference or textbook, I would really appreciate.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

it could mean many things. Without context, it could mean coupling (superimposing) thermal loads and vibration loads and inertial loads.
It could have a specific meaning ... ask the source what they mean, what are they looking for ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

All of the above are possible. Let me add another: the coupling of the satellite to another body of mass, such as a protective fairing, the upper stage it is attached to, or later in its life it might be grappled by another spacecraft (presumably for servicing/repair/decommissioning).

Please remember: we're not all rednecks!

The most common usage is the analysis done in conjunction with the launch vehicle provider to analyze the natural frequency of the system of coupled masses represented by the spacecraft and the launch vehicle. Usually the spacecraft provider will supply inputs like mass, inertia and first fundamental frequencies and modes of vibration for the spacecraft and then the launch vehicle provider will model the combined system and from this determine the recommended environmental testing levels for the spacecraft that would safely envelope flight conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back