Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is the name of this kind of profile, is it specified in any ISO standard? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

George9494

Mechanical
Mar 4, 2024
SE
6wrxfMOEJC_typwl4.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To an American engineer, that is a Unistrut profile, commonly used throughout industry in thousands of applications. There might be some industrial standard involved but if so, I'm not aware of it.

That’s a US standard.

I was referring to global standards ISO or even harmonised standards between SAE, ISO, EN, DIN etc.

Metric too.

Is it not time that the US stopped converting metres to imperial? The US is a paid up member of the SI system. Just asking.

Why are metric scales (not balances) indicating kilograms (or grams) and not Newtons?

Learning to do a lot of multiplication and division is better mental exercise for all the other calculations than shifting a decimal point and trying to recall things like, "What is a hectare?" Why does that name exist when square meters is explicit?

Kilogram is the SI unit of mass.

Newton is the SI unit of force.

You need to multiply the mass by acceleration to know the force.

Hectare is 100m x 100m and is not part of the SI system as the area becomes 10[sup]4[/sup]m[sup]2[/sup].

I don't think it can be argued that multiplying or dividing by 25.4 is easier or better than moving the decimal point for length, or by multiplying by 2.20462 or 1/2.20462 for mass is easier or better than moving or adding zeroes.

I don't suppose that we will convince US industry to make the change based on this discussion and I know I am poking the bear in asking the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back