Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the probable cause of steam moisture

Status
Not open for further replies.

rme1997

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2004
US
Hi,
We have experiencing steam moisture in the dehumidifier unit where we used steam to dry the desiccant wheel. The boiler we use to supply the operation is 100BHP. After we replace the reheat coil and defective steam trap, the problem is still re curring. May I know what is the cause of moisture in the steam and how to prevent it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe moisture is coming in with the steam for many reasons. I would install a steam separator directly before the unit and then look closely at the near piping to solve this problem.

The steam has to be superheated with enough delta T above saturation temperature so that it does get cooled down easily and create condensate while passing through your dehumidifier. Also look for missing insulations along the pipes and devices that the steam goes through.

Sorry, my typo. I meant to say 'does NOT get cooled down dasily...'

Was the water level in the boiler steam drum raised recently ? This can cause moisture carryover

Was the boiler recently renovated or reworked ?

Could there be some non-operating steam traps between you and the boiler

-MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back