Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the purpose of Red and White stripes on Level glass gauge? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahirinst

Electrical
Nov 21, 2008
IQ
Dear Instrumentation experts, Could you please suggest, What is the purpose of Red and White stripes on Level glass gauge? ( simple hollow transparent tube ). This level tube is installed at open to atmosphere water tank.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Got a picture? I don't want to play 20 questions to find out where the tape is.

[bold]David Simpson, PE[/bold]
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

Like these? One would think that the lines signify the range where the level must stay within for normal conditions.

URL]

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

If the stripes are vertical, they help to make different coloured fluid levels visible under different lighting conditions, particularly clear fluids.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

From a catalog:
"This type of gauge glass has red and white meniscus enhancing lines. This is achieved by the application of specially developed paints that are bonded to the glass without etching."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back