Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is the stability and maintenance of the man-made islands in Dubai, particularly Palm Jumeirah? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathew Sam

Civil/Environmental
May 1, 2023
AE
Hello Engineers,

I am currently considering purchasing a property on Palm Jumeirah in Dubai, a man-made island developed by Nakheel Properties. However, as someone without an engineering background, I have concerns about the long-term stability of the island in its sea environment. I am curious about the ongoing maintenance necessary to ensure that water does not penetrate the island.

I would appreciate your professional opinion on the matter. Specifically, do you believe it is a wise investment to purchase property on a man-made island such as this one?

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Didn't get the memo?
Sea level is on the rise.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Given the size and publicity of the development, its hard to imagine that the design was not rigorously checked. I imagine climate change sea level rises where considered.

But in saying that, there have been many issues with the design of other flagship developments. You could always do a little bit of a check yourself and see how far your FFL is above the highest astronomical tide and check what the estimated sea level rise due to climate change is.

Additionally I imagine there are residents Facebook groups, you could always join and post your question there. People that have bene living there for years will be able to advise if they have seen issues such as settlement over the years. Again, take it with a pinch of salt but probably the best you can get without paying an engineer to do a pre purchase assessment.

Maybe like Millennium Tower... might be a big assumption?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I have visited the construction site almost twenty years ago ..The area reclaimed with filling with essentially fine sand .The contractor was BOSKALIS.

I will suggest you to look to the info at following web sites.

.....In 2009, The New York Times reported that NASA's laser altimeter satellites had measured the Palm as sinking at the rate of 5 mm (0.20 in) per year.[13] In response the developer, Nakheel Properties said they had received no reports of structural problems of a type that would be expected if there were any subsidence, and pointed out that the laser satellites had a measurement resolution of only 50 mm...

I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure..It is: Try to please everybody.

I also remember hearing that there were some seawater circulation issues around the properties closest to the "trunk" of the palm being the worst. Think the result was odours

I wouldn't trust the daily star to tell me the sun comes up every day.

Does Dubai even have a sewage system?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

LittleInch said:
I wouldn't trust the daily star to tell me the sun comes up every day.

I thought that as soon as i read "Dubai" and a "(considered an)unnecessary waste of money" in the same article (caveat: a broken watch is correct twice a day!)

121 lift stations.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Mathew Sam said:
Specifically, do you believe it is a wise investment to purchase property on a man-made island such as this one?

Hmmm, Property built literally on a sand bank a few metres above sea level in an area of the world which is only going to go from very hot to very very hot?

Wise?

Impossible to say. Dubai is not exactly a mature market and developments emerge (in this case from the sea) on a regular basis.
however a quick google shows that Dubai is currently booming and so the risk would seem to be quite low.

On the plus side these islands have now been there nearly 20 years and don't show much sign of sliding back into the sea.

Any property development purchase has risk and a knowledge of the local market and desirability of that location is essential before you can think about the wisdom of the purchase.

Dubai property market is highly dependent on wars in the Mideast, probably more than the price of oil. Tensions drive prices up.

P.S. resolution is only important for an absolute measurement. Differentials can still be captured over time. Two readings over a year, 1m +/- 50mm gives an absolute elevation range of 950mm to 1050mm. A year later 995mm +/- 50mm gives an absolute elevation range of 945 to 1045mm. Absolute elevation has most probably decreased. Look at the moving averages.

Actually I just can't believe you can't find better stuff to do with your money.

Wait. You're considering buying one of those properties, probably worth several millions of US dollars, but you're asking a bunch of anonymous nobodies in the internet advice rather than hire the best the region has to offer to give you an opinion?

Something doesn't quite add up.

Maybe the memo arrived.

Nah - everyone knows sea level rise won't touch those. They'll keep pumping their oil money underneath to raise the ground level as the sea level rises. Maybe they'll even build rafts under all the properties? That would be an equally inefficient and idiotic use of resources. But then the big question is, can they continue earning the oil money faster than said oil is contributing to sea level rise? Quite a conundrum...

This is Dubai. They never had much oil and gas.

They do though allow foreign residents to buy property which most gulf states don't.

Right. Thanks for the correction, LittleInch. I was thinking of Qatar. They've done some similar developments in Doha, but not quite on the same level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back