Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the state of the art for electronics reliability engineering? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfritze

Mechanical
Aug 12, 2013
US
Hello,

I am not a reliability engineer however am tasked with determining expected lifetime for a simple circuitboard in a manned space application. The supplied specs suggest but do not require HDBK-217. I have read a little about the handbook methods and it seems they are not robust or accurate. The Physics-of-Failure approach seems to be more accurate and cutting edge, but I haven't found any good practical analysis guides other than academic papers and extremely overpriced research software (CalCE requires annual membership fee of $65,000).

What is the next best practical reliability analysis method besides HDBK-217? Any good references or affordable software ya'll could recommend?

Thanks,

Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All the others are similar approaches, except with better databases. Relex is the one we use, which, apparently, was bought out by PTC and is now embedded within Windchill. The reliability data come from SPIDR and NPRD
So bruteforce-wise, you can grab a indentured parts list and populate with the appropriate values from the database and crank out the failure rate. Note that a space application will probably require some level of redundancy, which will require some other software to plow through hardware design.

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
homework forum: //faq731-376 forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back