Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is the Vacuum Pressure value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Googled" what????????????? What the heck do you mean by "vacuum valve" in the title? I'm assuming that you're a student and that this thread will go away, so I'm not going to put much work into it.

Gauge pressure is always measured from local atmospheric pressure. Are you on the coast? In the mountains? The reference changes with elevation.

If you're wanting to convert a specific pressure use Uconeer that was written by a long-term active contributor to eng-tips.com and is clearly the best unit conversion tool I've ever come across.

According to Uconeer, 29.921 inHg is -14.696 psig (convention is that inHg is positive from zero towards increasing vacuum, psig is positive from zero toward increasing pressure). So if you're in Denver, CO that reading is impossible. At sea level it is just possible.

psia=psig+local atmospheric pressure (so if local atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psia, 29.921 inHg would be 0.004 psia)

David

hydtools,
Did you read my post? 29.921 inHg is zero psia at exactly one elevation. In Death Valley it is nearly 0.1 psia. In Denver it is impossible.

David

zdas04
Sure. And accepted local atmosphere in Denver is 12.2psia; and absolute vacuum is still 0 psia.

What do I feed this goat? I seem to have yours.

Ted

Yep, pressure does not go lower than 0 psia. So if atmospheric pressure in Denver is 12.2 psia, then 0 psia is -12.2 psig or 24.8395 inHG. There is nothing magical about 29.921 inHg, it is just the pressure that corresponds to one of the values used for "standard pressure". It makes me crazy when people think that every time there is nothing in a container the pressure is 29.921 inHg.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back