Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is this facility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxick

Civil/Environmental
Mar 19, 2009
US
I am doing environmental review of an industrial facility constructed in the late 1950s with multiple modifications. Documentation of construction/uses/changes is incomplete. Photos in the attached PDF show a small fenced area with what appear to be inter-connected grounding rods in the four corners. The closest known industrial activities were helium and nitrogen compressors and storage tanks. A power pole within the fenced area appears to have been cut off, possibly for construction of overhead power lines to a transformer bank located about 80 feet away. Petroleum storage tanks were about 150 feet away.

I don't see similar grounding of the existing transformers but might these ground rods be associated with transformers previously existing on the pole within the fenced area?

Grounding the petroleum storage tanks seems a good idea, but this location seems too far away and too much capacity for that purpose.

Any ideas on possible purposes of a grounding facility like this will be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Concrete curb could be an oil containment pit for a small oil-filled transformer or oil circuit breaker mounted on the pad. The permieter ground rods look typical for a small transformer location, but I would have expected them on the outside of the curb. There does not appear to be any abandoned underground conduits for the low voltage feed from a transformer, but overhead cables could have been used.

Since other transformers are on overhead platforms, I would have expected this one to also be elevated or pole mounted because that is cheaper.

It could also be a former metering location with some metering equipment on the pad.

I think rcwilson is right. The equipment was not a transformer but oil filled medium voltage circuit breaker. The 3000 psi helium conduit was destined for another facility-it may be a cryogenic test installation. An isolator was provided on the pole - I guess. Also the water pipe is not connected to the medium voltage installation. I found a picture of old oil filled
circuit breaker as attached.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7f622036-7885-4bd4-8570-1e24ce5d0bb3&file=Unidentified_feature.JPG
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back