Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is this in the SGT5-4000F picture? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wonder if it really is a t/c and if this is a development engine? There are number of other cables - thermocouples? - on the outer casing near row one which I don't think are standard fitment either. The engine has clearly been fired but the blading looks newly fitted.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Yeah, I am guessing it is a development engine. If it is, another possibility would be that it is a strain gage. They say that they run harmonics and vibration testing on the entirety of row 4 using strain gages (BSSM). Once again I don't think stain gages would be configured in such a manner, with all the squiggles in the line.

If I had seen it without your asking, I would have taken it for a strain gage. The routing of the wiring may be to make sure that blade flexure or torsion doesn't break the epoxy bond that holds the leads in place. Temperature could be take by a probe right in front of the blade row via conventional means.

rmw

I agree with rmw.

It is common practice to avoid straight lines in the instrumentation routing to account for deformations, thermal expansion & contraction, etc.

Regards,

rotorblade

Thanks guys. I am pretty sure you must be right about it being a strain gauge it looks like something of that nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back