Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is wrong with my model--helical spring compressed by rigid plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogiedreamer

Mechanical
Apr 14, 2005
Hi,

I created a model of a helical spring (5 coils) being compressed a two rigid plates. It didn't converge. Could any one please take a look at the file and show me what is wrong?

Many thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One block appears to be passing through the helix and as such can't make contact. The error message of overclosure tells you that. On top of that I see no loads or displacements to give any results, only encastre restraints. I also don't see why you model the rigid blocks as box shapes, rather than just two flat surfaces. The box type shape isn't needed for a rigid body in this case.

corus

Hi
There are messages of overclosures in the model. Either you should move the top rigid body up so that it doesnt interefere with spring surface initially and then push it down the distance you need or activate shrink fit in your rigid top vs spring surface contact by going to interefernce fit to remove the initial interference. Attached CAE model for your reference. Please look in interactions. The model completes fine.

Thanks
Fayaz

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4d9a2952-0aef-45c6-962c-ed025aa30f8c&file=march_2009-Corrected.cae
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back