Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What items can you seal as an Arizona PE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJYork

Structural
Sep 22, 2004
US
I am a working structural engineer and originally licensed in Texas. I have passed the SE-1, so not considered a SE. I can’t be grandfathered into a SE in Arizona, nor licensed as an SE, so if I obtain a PE in Arizona does anyone know what I would be limited to sealing? In general, most of the structures are relatively small in scale (no high rises, and doubt any schools in Arizona).

I have searched and contacted the Board, but I have not had luck as of yet with information. Thanks for any information that can be provided, even if it is pointing out that I am blind and overlooked the answer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looking through the rules a bit, I find:
R4-30-221. Engineering Branches Recognized
A. The Board shall recognize the branches of engineering described below for review of experience, selection of examination, definition of examination areas, and definition of demonstrated proficiency areas to be inscribed on the registrant's seal. The branches do not limit the areas of a registrant's practice of engineering. (See R4-30-301(18))

18. A registered professional engineer may accept professional engagements or assignments in branches of engineering other than that branch in which the registrant has demonstrated proficiency by registration but only if the registrant has the education, technical knowledge, or experience to perform such engagements or assignments.

My experience in the past on work in CA was that on much work that did not require a structural seal by state law, the owners still required a structural seal, so local practices may vary from what the law allows.

As of right now, Arizona has a title act for structural. This means any PE (Civil, mechanical, structural...) can seal any drawings. You are supposed to be knowledgeable about the subject you are sealing, but unfortunately that is not always the case. I've seen structural plans sealed by a mechanical engineer that were downright scary.

There have been discussions for many years about changing Arizona's rules to a practice act instead of a title act, but this can't ever seem to gain any traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back