Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What kind of Hcl gas Scrubber is shown on the image? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjazAutomation

Industrial
Nov 10, 2010
DZ
Good evening,

I would like to know which kind of Hcl gas scrubber is used in the drawing attached. Actually, the scrubber is installed at the common vent line of two Hcl 30% storage tanks (the rectangle between the two tanks).
It seems that it is not a wet scrubber since there is no water or other liquid that circulates through the scrubber.

I need this information because i have to replace this scrubber with the right one.

Thank you very much

Djaz.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for your answer,

However, and if i am not mistaken it seems that the Brink filter shown in the link has a water input (spray water) and a blower to extract the clean air, While my scrubber has no blower and no water input.
Could you explain me how it could be the same (Maybe i didn't underdstand)? Is there another possibiliy (Dry scrubber for example).

thank you very much.

Djaz.

You sure it doesn't have a liquid inlet that just isn't shown on this sketch. It looks it is set up for liquid flow since it has a drain line and overflow. My first thought was it is a seal pot. Maybe the ops fill it with water occassionally with a hose then drain it at some interval. What is the "valvolo rompivuoto" shown on the vent line?

"valvolo rompivuoto" is a vacuum relief valve. It is mandatory to use it because when you pump acid from the tanks you need to avoid the implosion by letting the air enter the tanks.
On the other hand, I am pretty sure there is no water inlet. In fact and as you said, i think it's a seal pot that operators fill occasionnally with water. I looked for on the internet and i found out that the seal pot can be used to scrub HCL vapors from the venting air.
I think that it's definitely a seal pot (Thank you very much ash9144!) but i am a little bit surprised because i thought it's mandatory to use a wet scrubber or a dry one (with active materials) to do this.

Is it safe and acceptable to use a seal pot instead of wet or dry scrubbers considering that the tank is 7 ft high and filled with Hcl at 30%? Please note that the existing facility has been working with a seal pot during several years.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Djaz.

The water will absorb the HCl vapors. The vapor inlet would be through a dip pipe and there would need to be some type of vent on the top of the seal pot. The only trick is when does the water get changed out. Also it probably needs to made out of fiberglass or some other plastic since there will be weak acid created in the pot.

Thanks a lot ash9144, i'll take these valuable remarks into account.

By the way, do you know some manufacturers for seal pots? (Specially in europe). I need to get a quote.

Thank you very much.

Djaz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back