Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what knowledge should a component engineer need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenda

Electrical
Feb 8, 2007
CN
Last time I post a thread which is titled "just tell it out".
I said something about myself,the so many kind advices that I recieved make me be couraged to ask this question.
I am a component engineer in a factory,and our products is electronic such as the CCTV, microphone,fire alarm.we have our R&D in other countries,currently my department responsible for the sample run before lot production ,
including the document control ,BOM maintenance,and I myself just responsible for the components ,sourcing and finding the substitute,and the characteristic of the all the components.
Right now I am just OK with my work ,
so here "How to Improve Myself to Get Ahead in My Work Forum",I would like to know more about this type of work internationally.

Thanks!

Thanks.

We are always available to help each other.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One very important aspect is not to focus solely on the technical side.
You need to have a close working relationship with your suppliers and to understand their product strategy on a long term basis.
Nothing is worse than to select a component that is not strategic for your supplier and which they might phase out while you are still in prototype or early production phase.

An important rule is that the design engineers should consult with you before being allowed to select a new part. Engineers can be fascinated by new technology that "fits 100%", but again, this needs to be done in collaboration with your suppliers.

Benta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back