Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What languages do I need to combine? need database, interface for questions, etc. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelwoodcoc

Automotive
Jun 29, 2017
US
I'm developing a multiple choice question program for PC. I am familiar with matlab, but not much else.

Updated:
I need:
1. Graphical user interface
2. Easy to distribute, hopefully an easy to install EXE(people not good with computers will be installing this)
3. works with a database, or excel files
4. hopefullyu can have a user login
5. will display pictures for 2 seconds at a time then wait for a user input to a question

How on earth do I write a program that will have multiple pages, read and write from a database, and score tests? Also, the images are displayed for only 2 seconds.

I think I need to combine c# with something else. Browsers can run multiple programming languages at once, but can a PC program do that?

What languages should I learn?

Engineering student. Electrical or mechanical, I can't decide!
Minoring in psychology

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Start with a comprehensible set of requirements.

"...a program that will have multiple pages..." Programs do not have "pages". A user interface may display information on "Pages", depending on what "Pages" means to you.

"... score tests..." Compare the users answer to the correct answer. Increment a value by different amounts for right and wrong answers.

"Also, the images are displayed for only 2 seconds." What images?

Pretty much any programming language could do everything that I imagine you would want to do. But I have a pretty vivid and active imagination, which is fortunate because you haven't defined what you need to do very well yet.

Regardless, almost certainly there is no need to complicate things by spreading this out across multiple languages.

Python is a valid recommendation.

You could do this within the MS Office ecosystem using Visual Basic for Applications.

Or within the Google ecosystem with Google Script (which is sort of Javascript)

Will these users have access to the internet? It might make more sense to design it as a website. Otherwise you would need to develop two different programs for windows and Mac. And even more if you need Linux, iPhone, Android, etc.
With a website you could use PHP and HTML5 to do this and have it directly connected to a database on the backend.

All of the listed requirements can be easily done in Excel with VBA.

Python has some advantages over VBA, but I can't see that any of them are relevant to this application, and programming the user interface would be much more work.

The only drawback with Excel is that the users will need a copy of the desktop version, but all engineer should have that anyway.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back