Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What liability is there for underestimating Plan Quantiy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkolb

Civil/Environmental
Aug 2, 2005
US
What liability does a civil engineer have for underestimating a quantiy in preparing the contract documents bid form. Especially if there are no damages incured by the client. Double especially if the the actual contract plus additional quanity is $70,000 vs. my engieers estimate of $90,000. Triple especially if the city's own original budgeted amount for this project was $450,000.

LONG VERSION OF THE STORY:
I'm a civil consultant hired by city to design and prepare construction documents for retrofitting a BMP devise into and existing stormwater detention pond. I prepared the design and bid documents and calculated a volume of unclassified excavation for the forebay and micropool to be 700 cy. I failed to include excavation for the concrete checkdam walls and the excavation required to place rip rap. I figure that those items would have added 500 cy to the total. The contracor claimed 1700 cy total, I believe after the fact based on load count. The unit price bid on the excavation was $5.50 per cy so the total dollar overrun is small at $2750 by my estimate and $5500 by the contractors claim. The city has invited me in to talk about this because it was a large percentage overrun. I was told that they may be asking for us to share in the added cost. In my opinion there is no basis for coming after the engineer because there have been no damages incured by the city, beacause if the quanitity had been correct in the first place they still would have gone through with the project.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

$2,750 to $5,500 doesn't seem like a lot to be worries about. It's only ~1% if the total project budget. Isn't there a contingency sum in your client's budget?

As for your exposure to damages, it depends on the contract you have with your client. Suggest you take a look at it.

If you have professional indemnity insurance you should be making your insurer aware of this potential claim as soon as possible. Your policy may be voided if you act in a way contrary to what their advice would have been to you had you notified them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back