Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

what materials are included in ASTM B31

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdstructural

Structural
Jun 12, 2010
US
Hello all mechanical engineers. I'm a structural engineer and somewhere along the way I was told that only steel pipes are included in the ASTM B31 code. Is this correct? I have a project that uses HDPE and other 'plastic like' products.

Thanks!

Tracy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In short; no, other materials are also included, like e.g. stainless steels, nickel alloys, but also plastics and other non-metallic piping.
It depends however on which of the B31 codes you use. Which one is applicable to you? Do you have a copy of the code?

Review e.g. Chapter III of the base code (p 45 in the 2010 edt) which'll tell you whats allowed and what's not. Other chapters (chapter VII - part 7, chapter VIII - part 7, 16 & 17, chapter IX - part 7, chapter X - part 7) will indicate whats allowed under that respective chapter.

XL83NL - thanks for your response. I don't have a copy of the code and my question was a very generic one. I am designing pipe supports for a fabrication facility (process pipes). We (as structural engineers) need to determine the seismic force acting on the pipes. Our structural code gives different values for different types of pipes and one of the criteria is whether or not the pipes were designed per the B31 code. I was told years ago that if it's a PVC pipe that it cannot be designed per the B31 code. You answered my question - what I was told was incorrect. I can't just assume that a plastic pipe was not designed per B31 code.

Thanks again for your help.

Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back