Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What mean the transformation matrix, rotation submatrix parameters? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZsZs

Computer
May 8, 2007
HU
Hi!

I have a C++ program.
I know to moving my components by this transformation matrix, but I like rotating too.

The Solidworks help wrote at the MathTransform Object:

"The SolidWorks transformation matrix is stored as a homogeneous matrix of 16 elements, ordered as shown. The first 9 (a to i) are elements of a 3x3 rotational sub-matrix, the next 3 (j,k,l) define a translation vector, the next 1 (m) is a scaling factor. The last 3 elements (n,o,p) are unused in this context.

The 3X3 rotational sub-matrix represents 3 axis sets: row 1 for x-axis components of rotation, row 2 for y-axis components of rotation, and row 3 for z-axis components of rotations."

Which (value) filling the rotation sub-matrix?
What mean the 3 axis parameter? What contain it?
It is coordinate? or any distance of origin? or...?

Thanks!

ZsZs.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To understand the transformation matrix, you must first understand what a unit vector is. A unit vector has a scalar value of 1, thus the sum of the squares of the vector components equals one(i.e. x[sup]2[/sup] + y[sup]2[/sup] + z[sup]2[/sup] = 1). Unit vectors are used to express direction.

The "translation vector" is a unit vector to express the direction of translation. The "scaling factor" is the scalar distance. Scaling factor multiplied by translation vector yield x, y, and z components of total translation.

For rotational submatrix, each row represents the unit vector (= direction) of the transformed x, y, and z axes. If a transformation involves pure translation and no rotation, the rotation vectors are as follows: x=(1, 0, 0); y=(0, 1, 0), z=(0, 0, 1).

[bat]Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

Thanks!
I beleive help me more a example:
If I have a component, and I moving the x=1, y=1, z=1 positions, then I set the transformation matrix 9-11. element = 1.
This is the translation vector. (I don't use the scaling factor.)
I put (move) the component this position (and it is working: the component move the position.)

But, if I want move the component x=1, y=1, z=1 positions AND I like my component rotate by 90 degree to right (center = y-axis)?
What I do?
How I use the rotation sub-matrix?
What is a center of rotation? the assembly file origin? or components origin? or my component center of body? What around rotating?

Sorry my stupid questions...

ZsZs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back