Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What programme to use for continuous beam analysis? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bensmit

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2003
NZ
I am looking to buy some software to help me with continuous beam analysis.

After looking on the web, I quite like Dr Beam Pro, even though it does not calculate stress, nor allow variable cross-sections between spans.

Has anyone else had experience with Dr Beam Pro, or an alternative software?

At the moment I do not need either frame analysis, but I could see a need in the future for 2D frame analysis.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are looking for a low end 2D analysis program, RISA 2D is a nice program for not much money. I think the Tedds program will do some countinuous beam analysis, but I have never used it. If all you are doing is solving countinuous beams, then I would just do them by hand, using moment distribution, etc. You could also write a little program pretty easily to do this type of analysis.

I agree with AGGMAN. You would be better off doing the calcs by hand if this is a single excursion for you. Programs really pay off if you can fully use all features and most commerical programs that will handle continuous beams will also do frame analysis etc.

There are many design aids available for continuous beams. These include readily available influence lines for up to four span continuous with various end support conditions. Beam diagrams and formulas from AISC's Steel Manual. And the force method and slope deflection methods are easily programable in spreadsheets for reuse.

Your best bet is to invest in a simple 2D frame program. AGGMAN suggested RISA2D. I used version 3 of RISA2D. I believe the current version is 5 or 6. The program was rather easy to use and very easy to learn. I was running large 2D frames within 2 hours of getting the program. The cost is very reasonable (the "basic" program is about $500, the "professional" version which does more is about $800). Both versions will design in steel, wood, and light gage metal.

You can also look into a program, I believe called "StructPro". It does continous beams, simple beams, column and footings. I think it cots about $400

If all you are looking for is the moments and shears, you might want to use a free-bee program like TJ-Beam by Trus Joist. The program is intended to deisgn wood beams, either engineered and dimensional. However, it does do continuous beams. You can input the various spans and use a unity load (or the actual loads, if the spans are "reasonalble".) The program will calculate the moments and shears. You can use these values directly for your beam design. The program also provides you with deflections of the "wood" beam. You can calculate the steel deflection by proportions.

Thanks for all the input. I have downloaded a trial version of Risa-2D and am looking at it now. It is probably the right thing to get a programme which can handle more than just beams. I will check out Structpro also.

For very fast continous beam analysis, you might want to check out DTBeam ( ). It handles all kinds of supports, including springs, and it handles most load types, including axial loads. Non-prismatic beams are very easy to handle also as are hinges and all sorts of member release types. You'll likely have a hard time attempting to find an easier to use program and it is increcidibly stable ( even compared to high priced commercial programs ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back