Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What Pump for Diesel Fueling? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KernOily

Petroleum
Jan 29, 2002
US
Hi guys. What's a typical pump used for diesel fueling of heavy equipment? Design rates are 200-300 gpm. Pumps will be installed at grade and will take suction from an above-ground storage tank. I know I can just use a regular centrifugal or PD pump but I figure there's probably a preferred pump or one already set up for this service. Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want consistent transfer times, the PD pump has an advantage. Otherwise, diesel fuel transfer is a fairly simple problem, the most likely solution is whichever pump costs the least. Do specify viton seals when you order it.

PD, as you also easily get the volume transferred, assuming somebody is going to ask you where all that diesel went at the end of the month.

Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Pumps installed at grade with a flooded suction are made for small centrifugal pumps.

But each system is different and 200-300 gpm sounds like a hell of a lot unless you're filling bowsers?

Or those huge dump trucks?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I agree ... 300 gpm PD pumps sounds like a stretch for a refueling rate... How big are these heavy equipment storage tanks, anyway ?

Do they store 900 - 1500 gallons of fuel ?..... I have my doubts

The origninal poster could not have confused lpm with gpm .... could they ??

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

I rightly or wrongly took "fueling heavy equipment" to mean multiple gas station type pumps, as there should be no need to fuel one vehicle at 200-300gpm, which might be a bit dangerous as well.

Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

I worked at a place that made pumps for the navy, they would provide a mid sized centrifugal pump for this sort of application (jet fuel transfer).

While I worked with positive displacement pumps there also, mostly lube oil applications. Because PD pumps can develop a couple thousand PSI, we used a pressure relief valve on the discharge and overflow to the sump. For this reason, volume pumped =/= disccharge volume.

Guess you are asking for a batching pd pump ( vane or gear I suppose) with flow meter (and local readout)which auto shuts off when batch volume is reached?
If you cannot find one at these flows on the market, you may have to configure this yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back