Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What size interference fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yves40

Automotive
Nov 20, 2010
BE
I'm modifying a control arm to accept a certain type of rubber bushing (in an outer metal shell) How much interference fit should these type bushings have in their bore ?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Typically that style of bush has already had the outer metal squeezed in (sized) and plastically deformed to compress the rubber.

It makes no odds if you squeeze it some more. So you want an interference fit that requires a fitting force somewhat in excess of the likely force on the bush. You could even go for a light push fit and loctite it in.

On the other hand if the bush has not been sized then you have to do the sizing as well and will need a heavier fit.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Mostly MANY thousandths interference into a sheet metal type control arm, from my fairly limited experience. The bushing in an 850 Volvo upper motor mount link has some composite-y plastic OD shell, and it looked like it had about a 1/16 inch interference. I did not measure it, but just lined things up and pressed it home.

I measured an bushing and control arm I have here and the interference fit on that one seems to be 0.2 mm. However the bushings dimensions are all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back