Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what specs should i be concerned about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilchickenking

Civil/Environmental
Oct 11, 2006
US
I work for a large pump manufacturer. So my duties there are to produce their Plans for most large projects and some smaller once as well. So the types of parts I draw vary.

here's a list:

motor stands
discharge heads
seal plates
base plates
sole plates
all sorts of pipe
flanges
columns
shafts
couplings
bowl assembly's
cans (part that sometimes encases pump)
t-bearings
head shafts

and things along those lines.

what specs should i be concerning myself with?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seeing more specifically what you are dealing with, I would recommend reading ASME Y14.5-1994. I realize that this spec is not free, but it would well be worth the investment for your company.

Y14.5 is the right choice for general dimensioning & tolerancing methods, and provides references to other specific standards that may be of interest under Sect. 1.2. E.g. Y14.8M-1989 for Castings & Forgings, ANSI B4.2-1978, Preferred Metric Limits & Fits.

Assuming you're North-American based and work under a non-ISO system, you should check out the ASME website to see what they have to offer. You can also look at the ISO standards by going to
Jim Sykes, P.Eng, GDTP-S
Profile Services
CAD-Documentation-GD&T-Product Development

Good Morning all,
First, are you close to a university? If so go to the Library there and make a copy. Since we here in nebraska have a patent repository we also carry all the patent books and Engineering Specs. The Library is free.
Regards,
Namdac

Personal use copying of a single copy is allowed by copyright laws.

However, at 230+ pages, it may be cheaper to by a copy from ASME.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

The specs can be ordered on CD or book form. I prefer to order all the specs on a CD. It makes it easier to search for a topic.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

Back in the UK the British Standards had a web site. For a yearly subscription you could access almost all the specs (some of the older ones weren't scanned in yet).

Shame there doesn't seem to be equivalent for ASME/ANSI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back