Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What the is difference between MAWP and Design Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ek4putr4

Mechanical
May 2, 2008
MY
Can anybody explain what is the difference between Maximum Allowable Working Pressure (MAWP) and Design Pressure for pipeline system? Can it be the same?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is sometimes useful to search the site before posting a question. A lot of things have been covered before. A quick search revealed the following.

thread798-228139

faq135-133

Tx Ussuri, but both threads is not specific to pipeline. I'm refering to ASME B31.8, all it mentions is MAOP and DP, none is MAWP.
Can anybody give explanation, especialy understanding of term by code?

My interpretation of MAWP when used for a pipeline code is that MAWP is typically used to describe the highest pressure allowed in a given component, such as a 2000 psig limited valve, whereas MAOP specifically refers to the maximum sustained operating pressure of the system or of a given segment in that system which is allowed by B31.8.

Thus if you were to use that 2000 psig MAWP rated valve in a segment of a B31.8 pipeline where the MAOP is limited to 1550 psig, for example by the wall thickness, pipe material yield stress and the area's class design factor, you would be perfectly OK. Note however that the entire segment would still have to operate with sustained pressures at all points in that segment (including the valve) at <= 1550 psig.

If you were to use an ANSI#600 class valve in that 1550 psig MAOP system or segment of a system you would NOT be OK, as that ANSI#600 valve would have a MAWP of 1480 psig at normal temperatures.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back